Saturday 8 June 2013

Mom, Dad...We're pregnant!

So I know that in this 'information age', there are various ways and means of spreading the news about one's new addition to the family.

Being a friend to many mothers before me, I've heard a few drastic ways in which their parents were informed. One of them simply sent a text!!! Hey mom, hey dad...I'm pregnant?! Hilarious:'''''D
Another one didn't actually tell them...but they kind of found out when she got admitted to hospital, I mean, what else would the doctors tell them?! I'm sure there are more quirky and more less than conventional ways out there...feel free to share!

The Friday my doctor called me to confirm the news, we were off to Mariental for 'belated' Independence Day celebrations (mind you, it's April). Little did my parents know what else they'd be celebrating! Luckily for us, Yellow's parents were on their farm too, so we decided to take a detour and tell them the news first. His parents, including both his grandmothers were overjoyed at the news, I felt more a part of the family than I already was! His dad however, told him he cannot tell my dad without him being present, one of those 'traditional' things. So now we had to set up a meeting for the Black & Yellow parents to finally meet....

So we ventured on to Mariental, and the moment I saw my mom I just had to tell her! I took her into the bedroom and it slide off my tongue so easily. She hugged me for a what seemed like a year, it was a good moment. She said 'so that's why you look more like me now, because you're going to be a mother.' I smiled, happy that the news was welcomed with positivity. I also told her about Yellow's parents wanting to meet them and tell them the news, she said she'll 'ease' my father into the news! from there onwards, we had a pretty awesome weekend, mom was fussier than usual - wear socks, keep warm, have tea- which can be expected of a grandmother:)

A week or two after that, the parents meeting took place! Yellow was a ball of nerves, he had a speech written and everything, dressed in formal wear ready to 'face' my dad and tell him the news! I held his hand under the table the whole time, his perfectly memorized speech went down well. I smiled inside all through the meeting. Our parents then pledged their support to us and our new addition to both the Boois and //Garoeb clans! They had dinner together afterwards, and told us 'you two can go now', like really!!! Two hours later they were laughing and chatting like old friends, it couldn't have gone any better.

However you decide to break the news to your parents, do it in a way that you feel comfortable with. Different people have different reactions, if it doesn't go down well, give them time to ease into it and slowly but surely they'll come round. I've seen parents go mad with fury at the news, but when they hold that little one in their hands, that fury changes to love.
I'm lucky and blessed to have the support system that I do from both my parents and his!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment