Tuesday 16 July 2013

Traumatized...

The question of 'which method should I use to give birth' pops up, (no kidding), when you have to face reality and make an informed decision.
It was hardly of question to woman in the past as it was natural or nothing else...I believe in cases of extreme emergencies cesarean sections were performed? But now, in more modern ages, woman have the opportunity to choose. Elective C-section they say!

Natural VS Cesarean Section 

It also was of no question to myself, until the birth of my nephew that is, 22 February 2011, 18:15. I rushed from UNAM, skipping that last evening class I was to have so as not to miss the arrival of my sister's baby!!!
Swelled up with emotions, I stood by her side as she squeezed the life out of my hand...and soon after I arrived, it was time!

We wheeled her into the delivery room...my older sister and two aunts and the doctor all present. I ask myself, "why did i let go of her hand" countless times. Having my hand ripped off would have been better than what I was about to witness. Don't get me wrong, it's beautiful...life is beautiful...but I should have remained at the other side of the bed!!!!
And there out he slipped, right before my eyes. I watched, I tried to turn away but I watched. For the next few nights I woke up in a cold sweat, that image burned into the back of my brain. And now, it's my turn!!!

Every month since I found out we're expecting, I've been playing with this question. I change my mind, one month I'm all for #TeamNaturalBirth the next I'm like having mini panic attacks, thinking to myself "I CANNOT DO THIS" *slaps self* Yes I can :D 
I am woman, as a very wise woman once said! I am the seed, the root, the giver of life. I think the rewards at the end, whichever route one goes is pure bliss...holding that little bugger in your arms. 

So in my battle to decide I hear the opinions and thoughts of others, here are a few:

Natural
It's painful (you don't say????)
It contributes more with the bonding process between you and your spawn
You get to 'tie your tummy' afterwards to help you get you old figure back sooner
It takes hours...depending from person to person of course (Irma said the WHOLE process took an hour tops for her)

C-Section 
It 'takes away' from the bonding process?! (Really? Tell me more!!!)
Post-operation pain, after the anesthesia wears off
It's quicker, no 'fuss', just snip snip and out comes baby
You get to choose the day and time (revolving around your estimated due date of course)
 

I, however, am still undecided...time does seem to be moving super fast now though? Or is it just me...we have reached 5 months, 4 to go!!!

I say, do whatever you're most comfortable with. I think you'll just know. When you know, you know right?! *shrugs*



No comments:

Post a Comment